Monday, September 7, 2009

Experience


The suburbs got to me one day a couple of weeks ago. I had to be at the lake, craved being at the lake, all by myself, alone, me and the winds and waves and birds. Clean air, light, breezes playing with my hair, the smell alone is worth the drive. There's nothing like the scent of the wind off the lake. It's cooler there, cleaner there, magical there. Driving from the east it was clear a storm was percolating on the western horizon. Watching it build was exhilarating even as I hoped to beat it there. Storms on the lake are a favorite event. Dark grey clouds billowed higher and higher as I approached but were still a distance away when I pulled into the driveway. The photo above is taken as I got out of the car, looking nearly straight up. It was coming - not much time.


I poured a glass of wine and headed to the deck quickly. Feeling that pre-storm jolt of air was critical to my being. The flag was whipping and snapping in salute, and there was a respectable chop on the lake's surface.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................................
I am happiest here. This is where I find my bliss, my peace, my soul.

The newly-cleared bank looks good. The buckeyes already dropping leaves for autumn. By now they're simply sticks laden with pods which will soon pop open, dropping their nutmeg colored buckeye seeds onto the ground.

Looking up - the storm is approaching. Please, please, please just a few more minutes.

So much humidity building; condensation beads form despite the wind.


How rude. I really should share with my blogging friends.
Cheers!!!

Here it comes. A sheet of misty gray rolls across the lake, bringing with it torrential rains and beautiful winds and whipping tree branches. Besides the Giraffe Head Tree this dead tree has to be a favorite. Ospreys dine there, Great Horned Owls linger there, Bald Eagles perch there, as do all manner of woodpeckers and songbirds. And squirrels and raccoons. Easy to spot.

I hope you enjoyed this little moment in time with me.

10 comments:

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I love storms over water. Glad you got there in time. Cheers! :)

Eve said...

Well there's nothing like a glass of wine and a dead tree to host an easy to spy bird!! The alone time is just the icing on the cake! Enjoy Debi!
Cheers!

Eve said...

And OH!!! The new header is SUPURB!!!

Anonymous said...

I can hear it, feel it, see it, touch it, smell it. I love reading your wonderful captures of life at your beloved lake.
The Atlantic is now calling me. Come Thanksgiving while home again, I will make my way down to Peggy's Cove and hope a storm is in the offing. To feel the spray, smell the salt and hear the gulls...

Thank you for this gift.

xo

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got there on time to experience the approaching storm, Debi! The storms on the lake are quite spectacular- that wind is definitely something to experience. Your new header is very nice!

wcgillian said...

Clink, pass the bottle.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

For sure I wish I had been there. Lovely post.

Helen said...

I just spent a companionable few minutes browsing through your blog. Wonderful photographs and writing. Congratulations on being a finalist in the Blotanical awards!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

..........I'm a finalist in the Blotanical Awards? Well, whaddaya know?!

Jan said...

Just loved this post...I felt like I was there too! Wish we had a place on a lake like that. I understand the feeling of 'need' to be at the lake! We go to a lake about an hr. and a half from here, when we can. We take our boat there and rent a cottage. We also go to Maine every summer on a lake--my husband's parents have a camp (aka cottage) there. Thanks for sharing your moment in time!! Cheers;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails