Sunday, December 20, 2009

Credo at Christmas

Mooresville, Alabama


CREDO AT CHRISTMAS
Daniel Roselle

At Christmas time I believe the things that children do.
I believe with English children that holly placed in windows will protect our homes from evil.
I believe with Swiss children that the touch of edelweiss will charm a person with love.
I believe with Italian children that La Befana is not an ugly doll but a good fairy who will gladden the heart of all.
I believe with Greek children that coins concealed in freshley baked loaves of bread will bring good luck to anyone who finds them.
I believe with German children that the sight of a Christmas tree will lessen hostility among adults.
I believe with French children that lentils soaked and planted in a bowl will rekindle life in people who have lost hope.

I believe with Dutch children that the horse Sleipner will fly through the sky and fill the earth with joy.
I believe with Swedish children that Jultomte will come and deliver gifts to the poor as well as to the rich.
I believe with Finnish children that parties held on St. Stephen's Day will erase sorrow.
I believe with Danish children that the music of a band playing from a church tower will strengthen humankind.
I believe with Bulgarian children that sparks from a Christmas log will create warmth in human souls.
I believe with American children that the sending of Christmas cards will build friendships.
I believe with all children that there will be peace on earth.

This quote spoke to me deeply this afternoon. After spending a week with my mom, who is convalescing nicely following a cataract procedure, I'm back at the city house preparing for the week ahead. All of our usual holiday decorations from tree to nativity set to ornaments to you name it are in storage. I'm enjoying the change with fresh greenery and candles. We're planning a simple nontraditional meal of beef brisket...just 'cause we like it!

Busying about the house I've been thinking of my daughter who will be leaving for college next year. Recalling Christmas's past and all the joys and happiness, the magic and sweetness. Hence, the quote. I've nothing profound to add or say today but wanted to update and touch base with everyone. Have a lovely week.

5 comments:

Lythrum said...

We're at the opposite end of the spectrum, with our two year old (thought it's her third Christmas). I am trying to enjoy them as much as I can because I know how fast time goes by. I hope that you and yours are blessed this Christmas season, and I hope your Mom recovers well from her surgery. :)

Eve said...

I believe it's great to be home around Christmas just doing little things and thinking good thoughts. Sounds like your working on that now Debi!
Cheers!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

That quote put tears in my eyes. How simply lovely.

I hope your mom has a nice relaxing recovery and you enjoy this peaceful time.

BTW - beef brisket sounds great to me! :)

Gaelyn said...

That poem is so moving and just delightful. Glad to hear your Mom is doing well, and you also. Hope you continue to enjoy the peace that can surround you over the holidays and beyond. Lasagne for me. Thanks for bringing us up to date. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Unknown said...

Very nice poem and thoughts, Debi. Thank you for posting it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails