Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cute little road signs in Mooresville, all decked out for the holiday!


"Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season,

that very special time of year when we join with our
loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions
such as trying to find a parking space at the mall.
We traditionally do this in my family by driving
around the parking lot until we see
a shopper emerge from the mall,
then we follow her, in very much the same spirit
as the Three Wise Men,
who 2,000 years ago followed a star,
week after week, until it led them to a parking space."

Dave Barry



I hate, hate, hate Christmas shopping. No way will I trudge to a mall and fight the crowds to save a buck....or so they want you to believe. Anyone here old enough to remember The Waltons? One scene in the original movie has stayed with me - the kids slipped out at night, dashing through the snowy fields to town because a lady was bringing toys for the children as a charity drive during this depression time. They defied their parent's wishes to do so because they were so anxious for "store bought" Christmas presents. When each received their present - only after having to recite a Bible verse - from the lady they dashed away in glee to open them. Their faces told the story. The presents were cast-off toys, broken and torn. The youngest girl's present was a doll, one eye missing. She screamed - the magic was broken. The toys were dumped into the snow and the children walked slowly back home.

The season isn't meant for banality, but for heartfelt moments, love of family and friends, giving and sharing. This year I'm reaching back into my heart to find those emotions I shut off long ago. Innocence and simplicity, love and light. Magic.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful, and thought provoking post. I don't like Christmas shopping when it's a chore, but happily I'm done except for one thing I have to order for my dearly beloved, which will be couriered to our house. We don't go overboard, because for us too, it's all about the good things in life; family, friends, love.
Thank you for your comments on Bloomingwriter! They mean a lot to me. By the way I love your blog's festive look too. Joyful holidays to you and yours.

Gaelyn said...

Nice header shot. Oh, how I remember circling round the mall parking lot with many other joyless shoppers. But no more. I won't do malls most any time, but never around Christmas. All that commercalism overwhelms me. I'd rather share the joy of friends and family. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I used to watch the Walton's when I was a kid. Simplicity truly does bring magic into one's life. If we embrace the idea of ease into daily living, then the space for anything we wish for unfolds. Nothing has to be forced. If we feel gentle, then the world responds gently back.

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I don't think a sensitive spirit like you has shut those emotions off - just tucked them away. Christmas is wonderful time to take them out and polish them up.

I think I will look for a little magic this year too. :)

Eve said...

my kids always liked the boxes more than the toys! We've learned from that life lesson!!
I love the simple Christmas for sure.
Thanks Debi

Anonymous said...

Love, light and magic to you, Debi!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails