Monday, December 14, 2009

Cute little house in Mooresville, Alabama

"I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day.
We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and
humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my
Christmas a little at a time, all through the year.
And thus I drift along into the holidays -
let them overtake me unexpectedly -
waking up some find morning and suddenly saying to myself:
"Why, this is Christmas Day!"

David Grayson


The gray, misty Sunday was perfect for seeking holiday happiness. Surprisingly, and amazingly, I wanted to experience Christmas among people yesterday. Driving down to the local Christmas tree corner stand I purchased some cut off branches from a Frasier Fir tree and enjoyed a brisk, happy conversation with the owner who hails from Boone, North Carolina. North Carolina is one of my favorite states, from the Smoky Mountains (that actually straddle the Tennessee/North Carolina border) to its wild, beautiful beaches North Carolina has been my family's vacation destination for decades. Talking to this gentleman, whose eyes twinkled at my enjoyment of his home state, made me long for a lengthy, meandering road trip to North Carolina and back. A long weekend immersing myself in that culture, that beauty. But, I digress...

Fir branches tucked in the hatchback I head for the bookstore and other stores along a popular strip mall. Am I nuts? Decidedly. Walking into Pier 1 a cheerful girl asked if she could help me find what I'm looking for. "I'm looking for HAPPY!", I told her. I found it yesterday in the simple joy of people bustling about, which is what I needed to experience.....just for a bit.

I hope each and every one of you finds your own Happy ... not just this holiday season but every day of your lives.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely those "small moments" that give us our greatest happiness. The photo of that little house with the wreath on its bright door made me happy this morning. :)

Unknown said...

What a sweet holiday wish! I wish Happy for you too. BTW, thanks for visiting my blog.

Cheers!
Julie
Julie Magers Soulen Photography
Blog of Note

Gaelyn said...

The true joy of Christmas shines through in your words.

Bo Mackison said...

I so agree with that quote. Cram good will into one day and screw the rest of the year. Wow - do I sound like a Scrooge? Hope not! I just prefer good will spread out over 12 months.

Judypatooote said...

Finding Happy, is all up to you...and I see a lot of grumpy people out shopping...that is not the Christmas spirit....I sure do hope they find Happy before Christmas is here....I love the little cottage....so cute...have a Merry (Happy) Christmas... judy

Eve said...

Yeah! My mom and I are going to look for happy at Pier 1 tomorrow...and Pottery Barn...and Williams Sanoma...do you think we'll find it there Debi? Maybe we'll run into you!! ;-)

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Oh, I love the little cap of leaves on the roof of the cottage - so sweet!

Although I worry I am too far behind in my Christmas planning and won't get to many of the things I would like to get done, I really feel the Happy in my heart this year. I think maybe because my son is starting to grasp that something special is happening. Last night he went to sleep with his red Santa cap on and I could have stared at him for hours :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails