Sunday, December 6, 2009

Just Playin' Around


My good friend Eve at Sunny Side Up recommended a new lens for my kit - a 50mm 1:1.4, which is perfect for low light situations. I was worried about taking portraits at the Bar Mitzvah, in a small synagogue I've never seen, so during lunch one day she suggested I check it out. Not only did I check it out but I ordered one that very day! Turns out I didn't need this lens for that situation but I'm really happy to have it. Yesterday was the first day I allowed myself to go outside and play with it.

The dried flowers of this sedum had ice captured among the bits and pieces, much like icing dribbled on a cookie. It's dusk now, nearly "dark thirty." Getting a shot from the top is easy and predictable so I bent over and shot upward as much as my body would allow.

A very good friend of mine doesn't enjoy photos with Bokeh, but I love, love, love shots that are surreal and make you wonder. They sort of give your eye and brain something to do while gazing at the photo.

I went completely bonkers playing around.

In the end I enjoyed each and every photo, but also knew that you would appreciate seeing only a few (maybe) (if that). Playing is good for the soul and body, mind and spirit. Without play, random meandering down roads not taken, discoveries and adventures, life would be quite dull. So I say to you GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!!!

6 comments:

Eve said...

YEAHHHHH!!! These are great Debi! I love the first and the last best. I'm so glad you had fun with that, I know there will be more fun to come.
PS We still have a little bit o snow up here on the mountain!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I love, love bokeh, too! I think your playing resulted in some very effective use of it with the repeated shapes in the background.

Playing is a good, good thing! :)

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Lovely photos! I've been wanting to get a 50mm for food photography. I've heard that it's the one to have for that.

Funny that you all got snow in Alabama before we did in Indiana.

You mentioned that your spam is in gibberish. Most of mine is too. Usually on the same post over and over, day after day. It's been going on now for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy that new lens!

Gaelyn said...

These images are all great. I like the crisp flowers and, darst I say it, snow, against the soft background where my eye is drawn into infinity. It is fun to play, with the camera too. Try taking a pic through a leaded glass crystal and check out the prismatic effect.

Unknown said...

Great lens! I love bokeh! And the 1.4 is a great lens for it! I need to take your advice and "go outside and play!!!" I've been stuck inside my basement for most of the late fall and winter- I need to force myself to get out! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Taking pix with a new lens is a sign and a method of allowing one to see the outter world from a new focal point from your inner world. Everything will seem as brand new looking at life from a differnent angle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails